Here's why you should NEVER use a McDonald’s self-order touchscreen!
By Frances Sheen
March 19 2019
The study - by UK paper Metro - found a wide range of bacteria on the touch screens tested, which was concerning to Senior Lecturer in Microbiology at London Metropolitan University Dr. Paul Matawele
‘We were all surprised how much gut and [fecal] bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines,’ he told Metro. ‘These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals.’
One bacteria of particular worry to Dr Matawele was staphylococcus, which is described by the medic as ‘so contagious’ and has been linked to Toxic Shock Syndrome. Other germs of concern were the traces of listeria, klebsiella and proteus.
McDonald's say that they regularly clean their screens to avoid any contamination. A spokesman said, ‘Our self-order screens are cleaned frequently throughout the day. All of our restaurants also provide facilities for customers to wash their hands before eating.’
And while there's no study of touch-screens in Australia so far, it can't be too different, we're guessing!
Ever wanted to reach for some anti-bacterial hand sanitiser more in your life?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...